In this course, you will learn to take better photographs by using all the appropriate camera settings
(+ a short introduction on the history of photography).
• We will learn about the general features and properties of lenses, for example different perspectives which can be produced by using different focal length
• Types of lenses
• We will learn what the lens is responsible for and what it can do.
• Lens speed, potential and limits, capacity, differences in price
• Cleaning and care
• …… are the parameters we use to control how much light reaches the sensor
• What is meant by motion blur?
• How do I gather light?
• How do I freeze an object in motion?
• How can I get motion blur of a moving object or subject in my image?
• We aim to be able to control and use conciously blurring and sharpness in our images
• The rules of composition are easy, it’s just about being aware of them. So here you will learn about the most important of those rules.
• How do you learn to “see” pictures? Where does inspiration come from? Be surprised!
Hotel Nixe Palace,Palma
9.00/9.30 – ca. 13.30/14.30 Theory (including 30 min break)
1 hour lunch break
Outdoor Practice – time & place to be confirmed depending on the season / weather
Approximately 5 hours practical application, putting new skills into practice while outdoors (time and place to be confirmed according to the season and weather). We will finish taking photographs by lunchtime, which will be spent in a small restaurant or cafetería close by, in order to comment on and evaluate our photos in comfort – approx 2 hours.
so we will concentrate on every single photo. Our aim is to put theory into practice and to experience joy when doing so. You will see that it is not as difficult as you think to implement these new skills and that from now on, you will be taking good pictures not just snapshots.
to practise means using what we have learned: without competition and without pressure to perform vis a vis the results. We will evaluate the pictures but we will not compare them. All participants are here to learn and to improve.
At this stage (if not earlier) there will be time to discuss individual questions and look at the different models of cameras in more detail.
Please bear in mind this is an intensive course. If you would prefer to do a course at your own speed, please ask about private tuition.
High season (April – September)
Monday – Thursday: 55€ / hour
for a minimum of 4 hours
Friday – Sunday: 150€ / hour
for a minimum of 6 hours
Low season (October – March)
Monday – Saturday: 35€ / hour
for a minimum of 2 hours
Sunday: 45€ / hour
for a minimum of 2 hours
You need a DSLR camera (and at least one lens) regardless of the make. You will be able to participate on the course with your bridge or system camera but be aware of its technical limitations.
Please bring all the lenses you have. If you can borrow any from friends or family for the duration for the course, that would be an advantage.
Every participant needs his or her own tripod which should be stable and made to carry the weight of your camera. If you do not have access to a tripod, you can hire one from us for a small fee.
For our practical exercises, please wear appropriate clothes. Clothing should be comfortable and not matter if you get a bit dirty. Comfortable and light shoes are also important.
• cleaning utensils for your camera
• empty memory card
• charger and batteries
• Instruction manual /users guide for your camera
• Please take notes. Over the years, we have realized that participants benefit more by taking their own notes instead of reading from hand-outs. So please remember to bring along some paper and pens.
The theoretical part of the course is absolutely independent of wethaer conditions because it takes place inside the hotel.
But even for the practical part clouds and storms cannot hold us back. On the contrary, some of the best photos have been taken in weather like that.
Unfortunately if it is raining too heavily we will not be able to go outside due to technical problems which may affect our techniqual equipment.
We will do our best to enjoy the wonderful landscapes that this dream island Majorca has to offer. But if we cannot go outside, we will decide as a group whether:
• we postpone the excursión or
• whether we organize a mediterranean session inside – you will be surprised at what is possible!